The Fordham University Masters in Finance has undergone a few changes and I thought it would be a good time to write a refreshed overview on this program. With its proximity to Manhattan and number of alumni in finance, this is a popular MSF for anyone looking to work in New York. Enjoy the update on the recently rebranded Masters in Finance program.
The Fordham program is a 30-credit hour, Stem Designated, In person or fully online MSF program. Students are required to take 3 classes or 12 credit hours and 6 electives. This gives you a lot of flexibility to customize your coursework how you see fit. In person classes start in the fall with a little more flexibility for those picking the online option.
Also – in person classes are held at Fordham University’s Lincoln Center Manhattan campus. This is great as you will be able to easily network and intern with the free time you have in between classes.
Standard admissions package for this one. Resume, transcripts, two essays (one mandatory, one optional), interview, etc. GMAT and GRE are not required this year, but if your application is weak in a certain area it can be used to help offset this.
I couldn’t find a class profile, but there were bits and pieces that I think can be helpful.
- Class Size – 121 (in 2021) – historically this has been a larger MSF cohort.
- GPA – 3.42 (this includes all specialized masters, not just the MSF)
- GMAT – 663 (same comment as above)
- GRE – 314 (same as above)
Tuition is $2,032 per credit (Starting Fall 2023 and later). This comes out to $60,960 for a 30-credit hour program. There are a number of scholarships and other ways to bring the cost of attendance down.
Upcoming deadlines are listed below:
|Rounds of Admission||Submission Deadline||Decision Release|
|Fall Priority Round||October 20, 2023||December 1, 2023|
|Round 1||January 12, 2024||March 1, 2024|
|Round 2||March 22, 2024||May 3, 2024|
|Round 3||May 3, 2024||June 14, 2024|
|Round 4||June 7, 2024||July 12, 2024|
|Round 5||Rolling Admissions||Rolling Admissions|
- Fall Priority Round: Application fee waived ($130) & an expedited two -week decision
- Round 1: Application fee waived ($130)
- Round 2: For priority consideration of merit-based scholarships, applications must be submitted by the Round 2 deadline date. Applications submitted after Round 2 may still be considered pending available funds. International applicants who are not currently in the U.S and will need a student visa must apply no later than our Round 2 deadline date. We encourage international applicants to apply earlier in the application cycle to facilitate visa arrangements.
- Round 4: Final Round for domestic and international students currently in the US with a current active F-1 visa.
- Round 5: Rolling Admissions for Professional MBA and EMBA until July 8.
Something that I have never seen before, but actually like a lot, is that Fordham lists the various achievements of their graduate students in a number of financial competitions. I took part in a number when I did my MSF and they are definitely a nice thing to have on your resume and be able to discuss.
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) Cup
Offers real-world experience in mergers and acquisitions, investment banking, financial advisory, and private equity.
- No. 1, New York Regional (2019)
- No. 1, New York Regional (2017)
- No. 1, New York Regional (2016)
- No. 2, New York regional (2014)
- No. 1, New York regional (2013)
- No. 1, New York regional (2012)
- Institutional Investor All-America Student Analyst Competition
Attracts more than 2,000 students from 75 to 80 universities. Competitors invest a mock portfolio for three months, trading on day-end prices and balancing long and short strategies.
- No. 1 school overall (2014), placing the most students—nine—into the Top 100 ranking tables
- 1st and 3rd place in the individual competition (2014) with four students in the national Top 20
- 5th place in the individual competition (2015) with 14 students in the national Top 100
- University Trading Challenge
- No. 1 overall (2016, 2015, 2014)
- Best Team Trading Award (2015)
- Best Presentation Award (2015)
- CFA Institute Research Challenge
Promotes best practices in research among the next generation of analysts, providing practical experience in researching and reporting on publicly traded companies.
- No. 1, New York region (2014), and Americas finalist (Top 10) — competed in Denver
- No. 1, New York region (2013), and Americas finalist (Top 10) — competed in London
- Final Four, New York region (2015)
- PRMIA Risk Management Competition
Simulates real-life risk-management challenges via a case-study approach. Sponsored by the Professional Risk Managers International Association, it carries a cash prize of about $10,000.
- No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, and No. 4 teams in New York regional (2014) were from Fordham, out of 24 total entrants
Fordham has a nice list of firms hiring graduates. This is obviously not the full list as the class sizes are historically large and the University places so many graduates
The career page mentions an average base salary (U.S. jobs) for the Class of 2022 Specialty Masters programs: $76,880. This combines all specialized masters, but should be pretty close to what you should expect. Banking analyst salaries are well known and standard so if that is what you are going for you can figure you will be paid slightly higher on a salary basis than the average.
Lots of good things going on with the Fordham MSF. Like seeing two delivery options as well as the Manhattan campus. Great placements and starting salary. If you want to go to school in New York City, this should be one of the programs you focus on.
Here is a link to the Fordham University Masters in Finance Program