Following a similar theme as the last few posts, I want to provide an update on the University of Virginia Masters in Commerce program. This program is always very popular with students and the last time I wrote about it was almost a year ago. Way too long. I am taking this downtime as an opportunity to catch up on a number of long overdue updates. Enjoy!
The UVA program provides class profile statistics over the 3 prior years. I like this since things can change year to year and a trend probably shows a better how a student compares with the overall class. Here is the most recent profile that I pulled from the site:
- Average Class Size – 120
- International – 26%
- Mid 80% GPA Range – 3.2-3.8
- Mid 80% GMAT Range – 580-720
- Mid 80% GRE Range – 307-328
The school does a good job of providing a diverse and well put together program. Women are nearly 40% of the class size, something that is very impressive. Over 50 undergraduate institutions are represented and 63% of the class is from non-UVA schools.
I just got the 2019 placement report and it looks great as you all would expect, reporting 96% of graduating students obtaining employment. Below is the average starting salary along with the average all in compensation for the three program tracks:
- Business Analytics – $71,170 / $93,506
- Finance – $69,795 / $97,256
- Marketing & Management – $56,500 / $76,010
The full report can be downloaded here. UVA does something nice and shows a very large and comprehensive list of recruiting organizations over the last four years. Nearly two full pages of firms, including just about every name you can imagine. They do not break this out by year, but I have no doubt that interested students can reach out to the career office or admissions and inquire about this.
UVA was kind enough to pass along placement information specifically for international students.
International Student Placement
- Number of Students = 31
- Number Accepted a Job = 28
- Positions in the U.S. = 19 (16 full-time, 3 part-time)
- Positions abroad = 9 (7 full-time, 1 part-time, 1 internship)
- Number Attending Grad School = 1
- Number Seeking = 2 (1 confirmed; 1 unknown)
Also, >70% of jobs are facilitated through McIntire (employer and alumni networks). Really speaks to how much the career services work to help students!
For anyone considering applying this year I wanted to update all of you on a number of things.
- Tuition & Fees: Instate – $47,156 / Out of State – $53,538
- Eligibility – Specifically designed for candidates who have graduated or who will be graduating within 18 months of matriculation with a strong liberal arts, science, or engineering undergraduate degree. Students who have an undergraduate major in business or equivalent coursework are not eligible to apply. Business majors, please refer to the MS in Global Commerce.
- Deadlines – Round 6 – May 1st, 2020, Round 7, June 1st, 2020. Rolling thereafter.
There are a number of online informational events upcoming where you can learn abound the program and ask questions. The next one upcoming is going to discuss application tips. Below are the next three and there dates, but you can sign up and keep track of all upcoming events here.
- M.S. in Commerce Application Tips Webinar – April 13th – 12:00pm EST
- Online Case Interview Workshop – April 21st – 6:00pm EST
- M.S. in Commerce Introductory Webinar – April 22nd – 12:00pm EST
Lot of good things going on in Charlottesville. I am working on some updated student reviews. In the meantime, hope all of you found this helpful. Stay tuned for more!
Here is a link to the University of Virginia Masters in Commerce Program